1 cup urad dal (white lentil)
½ cup chopped tomato or tomato puree
1 chopped green chilli
½ roughly chopped red chilli
5 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 tbpn ghee (clarified butter)
½ tspn mustard seeds
½ tspn cumin seeds
½ tspn asafoetida
½ tspn turmeric powder
½ tspn chilli powder
½ tspn cumin and coriander powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
5 cups water
coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, chillies, garlic, chopped tomato and saute them for a minute.
- Now wash urad dal and add it to cooker stir it well and add all remaining ingredients.
- Close the lid and let it cook for one whistle on high heat. Now let it simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat with lid on.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander.
- Serve it hot.
Simple, easy and delicious Urad Daal..